What is a Pet keeping?
The word pet is very familiar to us. We have often been hearing about pet as a casual word or even from the literary background. Lets look at the primary definition of pet. A pet is an animal kept mainly for a person’s company, protection. Pets are sometimes used as working animal, sport animal, livestock, or laboratory animal. Pet keeping is the process of adopting, training, grooming and taking responsiblity of a pet animal.
Benefits of Pet keeping
Pet have so many benefits both for the owner and to the environment.
- Pets especially dog and cats can give adequate companionship to people especially the elderly adults and the disabled who do not have adequate social interaction with other people, as well as other people that are living alone.
- Pets like dog can aid individual with disability or children. For instance, trained dogs can lead the blind and the disabled. Working dogs like rottweiler and gray hound can lead individuals on exercise.
- There is a medically approved class of therapy animals, mostly dogs or cats, that are brought to visit confined humans. Pet therapy utilizes trained animals and handlers to achieve specific physical, social, cognitive, and emotional goals with patients.
- Pet keeping can generate a reasonable amount of income to individuals. A puppy rottweiler price ranges from 60,000 to 120,000 naira. Also, increase in popularity of animals developed a higher demand for animal goods such as accessories and guides for pet keeping.
- Wild domesticated pets can be a source of tourist attraction. Like the Mike Tyson’s white tiger.
- Pet and Animal keeping generate income for Veterinary services personnel and Pet accessory dealers. If you are a pet dealer or a veterinary personnel, please advertise your product and services on hithood services.
- Pets like birds and cats keep off smaller rodent and animals from home. Cats prays on rodents and reptiles, even on snakes.
- Dogs can be used as security agent and as guard. Trained dogs can protect their homes, individual, farm and other valuables.
Types of pet and their range of popularity in Nigeria
The most popular pets worldwide and Nigeria are dogs and cats. Below is the least of other popular pet in nigeria.
Rodents as pet
- house rabbits
- fancy rats
- guinea pigs
Birds as pet
Reptiles a pets
- tropical fish
Domesticating of Wild Animal as pet
Different wild animals can be captured and tame for pet purpose. These animals are usually captured at a very tender age and brought to man’s environment. They have consistently been kept in captivity over a long enough period of time that they exhibit marked differences in behavior and appearance from their wild relatives. Example of animals that have been domesticated as pet are as follows
- Domesticated silver foxes
The keeping of animals as pets can cause concerns with regard to animal rights and welfare. Pets have commonly been considered private property, owned by individual persons. Many legal protections have existed and still existing with the intention of safeguarding pets and animals well-being.
Marketing of Pets and Animals in Nigeria
Nigeria has a low statics on adoption and use of pet compare to American and the western countries. In recent time, they have been an increase in demand for pets in the Nigerian pet market. One of the greatest challenges in Nigeria pet market is the market itself. Pet owners and keeper do not have a physical shop to display their pets and products. This is probably because pet marketing is not usually a steady business in Nigeria. It is a periodic business. This prompt us to create a classified virtual marketplace website hithood. Hithood has many categories. But we dictate this article to hithood Animal & Pet category.